Thursday, March 05, 2009

Thimble Thursday

Today's project does not require a thimble, or even sewing, but the name of the post remains. =)





The Umbilical Cord hat.



You can find the pattern in the book Stitch 'N Bitch by Debbie Stoller. This is my go-to book for all help knitting related. She describes everything in an easy to understand way and there are many cute and simple patterns to help get you started if you want to pursue knitting.

Rachel made the hat at the top for Noah. Doesn't he look absolutely adorable in it? I was so sad when his head became too large for it. The middle picture is of Owen, who is the son of our friends Jack and Kelly. That was three years ago. The last picture is Ellie on the day she is born.
The Umbilical Cord hat has become my staple baby gift. It's quick and easy to make, which is always a plus now that I have two small children. Sometimes I modify mine and don't make the I-cord on the top as long and skip knotting it. When knit like this in the color brown (I did one for my nephew, Ross) it looks like an acorn, which has led to it being nicknamed the "acorn cap" in our household.
It's really a fun project!

5 comments:

jptroast said...

Andrea you are so creative, I would not even be able to begin making those and it looks so simple, very cute!
sara

daniella said...

Gosh, Ellie looked perfect from the first day! She just has that adorable, delicate, girly face.

Love the umbilical cord hat! How long does it take you to knit one?

Erin Morgan said...

I love these hats! I used to make them too. I was a neonatal premie when I was born and for my 25 birthday, I made 25 of them and sent them to the hospital that I was born. They are just so cute and perfect for the babies. :) I'd love to have your "recipe"/"pattern". I have trouble getting the size right. They are always so big for newborns. :)

The Royal Family said...

I love these hats! Congrats on your saucy blog!

Miranda said...

Sooooooooo cute! I'm still a beginner knitter and only know how to make scarves LOL