Monday, March 09, 2009

Lack of Lump, Lazarus, Lukewarm and Love...Crazy Love

I went to my OB/GYN last week to get a second opinion on the lump (mostly to put my mom at ease since she kept calling me about it.) The doctor couldn't find it! She asked me to show her where it was and I showed her the area and she asked if I could feel it, since she wasn't coming up with anything, and I couldn't either. She said either it really was a swollen lymph node or it disappeared. Yea! I was going to post this good news over the weekend except that our computer was giving us problems, leading to the "Lazarus" part of the post title...

Our laptop was infected with a virus in November. It took us until January to realize it had been infected, we just thought it was acting funky. Then I came across an article on Yahoo!'s homepage which was describing a virus that is so bad, Microsoft is actually offering a reward if anyone can lead them to the creators of it. It described the virus and it fit perfectly with what was happening with our laptop. It tricked us into ordering what we thought was a Microsoft anti-virus, but in actuality was the virus. Argh! Any time we tried to download anything anti-virus related or system updates, it blocked them from our computer.

Thankfully, two of the guys in our small group work with computers and have been a huge help to us. Last week we bought an external hard drive and transferred all our pictures, music, documents, etc. over to it. We went to small group early and the guys helped us clear everything off our computer and start it over from scratch. After we came home Tim was up until almost midnight (I fell asleep on the couch) doing computer stuff that is beyond my knowledge to help it start over.

Friday it was working great and I got a new (safe, recommended and free) anti-virus/spyware program put on.

Saturday I came home from the gym and found Tim in a frustrated state in front of the computer. He had tried to download some Bios thing and the computer started being all funky again and then...it stopped working.

Our laptop was dead. Tim was kicking himself. I was trying to not say anything because I knew he felt bad enough. And in actuality, I am quite surprised at how calm I was. I think God has really been working on me because I thought to myself, It's just a laptop. We have all our important stuff on the external hard drive. We'll save up the money and buy a new one and until then I'll just use the one at the library when I need to. The "other Andrea" would have freaked out, crying and lamenting the ease and access to which I had a form of simple communication with the rest of the world. I'm thankful for these changes God is bringing to me because looking back it seemed silly for me to get all worked up over something like a computer.

A couple hours later, the computer started back up again! Everything worked great and we haven't had a problem with it since. Our friend, Matt, said he was glad because when Tim told him about the Bios program crashing it he said he wasn't ready to mention to Tim that those programs either work or they kill your computer for good. It sounded like our's had been a goner. So that is how our laptop has gained the name "Lazarus," which, oddly enough, was one of the passages we studied Thursday night at small group a couple weeks ago.

About some of the changes I have been experiencing in my heart...it's been scary and exhilirating all at the same time. I have been spending more time reading the Bible lately. I'm trying to read the Bible straight through in its entirety, which is actually something I've never done. This morning I started Jeremiah.
Also, in our small group we are studying the book of John. It is so refreshing to be studying the Bible with other people. Tim and I have often discussed how sad/frustrated it makes us that it seems like churches aren't really preaching the Bible anymore. Instead of studying a chunk of Scripture on Sunday morning and talking about how it's applicable to our lives, churches are doing topical studies and then throwing a verse or two in to back it up. I understand why they do this - in order to seem accessible to everyone and make it easy to understand and comfortable for new people to come in and find Christ. Then small groups are meant to go deeper, though I'm curious to see how many are actually studying the Bible or doing life-related studies.
I also finally listened to a pastor that I heard about awhile ago. His name is Francis Chan. Our friend, Matt Nash, has talked about him for a couple years ago and then my friend, Jen, mentioned him to me a couple weeks ago. Last week during one of the kids' naptimes, I watched one of his sermons on youtube. It was called "Lukewarm and Loving It." Wow, did I feel convicted afterward. I would say that I have fallen into the Lukewarm category and it was a wake-up call I needed.
Chan has also written a book called Crazy Love. So far I'm only on the fourth chapter, but it's crazy good. I would highly recommend it. Everything he writes he backs up with tons of Scripture and he really has a heart after God. The Lukewarm sermon is below and is about 40 minutes long but is really worth it.

That's about all the news for here. The kids are doing great. I actually can hear them waking up so I will have to do my Media Monday post later today.
Have a great Monday!

3 comments:

christina said...

I am going to remember this and come back to watch the sermon later...it sounds really good!

I totally understand the computer issues you've been having. Being on the computer for a big chunk of our day, Tim and I both have our fair share of moments that make us act like "Old Andrea". haha. I'm glad your computer is OK. Oh, and way to go on the external...that is the way to go...I'll never not use one as backup again!

Laufa said...

Wow this one is full of good news - even if you laptop did die. There is always an alternative when it comes to technology.

Living and Working in Boise said...

from Jenn @callwhenyougetthere.com

Greetings SITSta! Congrats on being featured. I have read the book Crazy Love and it is crazy convicting...good one to light the fire under ya (in my opinion). Blessings!