Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tasty Treat Tuesday

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
I love to make some kind of Irish dish on St. Patrick's Day each year as a tiny way to honor my Irish heritage. Last year I made a yummy apple dessert but, sadly, can't find the recipe this year. This afternoon I'm going to make Irish Soda Bread. I found a recipe from allrecipes.com and, although this is my first Tasty Treat Tuesday that I've never tried beforehand, I still wanted to put it on here it because I'll be making it today and it's a holiday.

Amazingly Easy Irish Soda Bread

4 c. flour
4 Tbsp. white sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. margarine, softened
1 c. buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 c. butter, melted
1/4 c. buttermilk

*Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
*In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and margarine. Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk and egg. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly. Form dough into a round and place on prepared baking sheet.
In a small bowl, combine melted butter with 1/4 cup buttermilk; brush load with this mixture. Use a sharp knife to cut an "x" into top of loaf.
*Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (which could be anywhere from 30-55 minutes.) Continue to brush with butter/buttermilk mixture while baking if desired.

Anybody else have any Irish recipes they like to try out?

2 comments:

Dianna@KennedyAdventures said...

so .... how was the bread??

The Allens said...

I am wondering about the bread too!