Monday, October 06, 2008

My Perfect Afternoon

So last Thursday God must have known how much I needed a break after Wednesday's fiascos (which included the kids NOT napping that afternoon and Tim working late again.) I put the kids down for their naps on Thursday and they both fell right asleep and slept for a little over 2 hours. During that time I made a bowl of Campbell's Tomato soup and topped it with lots of crushed Target brand-Ritz like crackers. I followed this with a leftover apple dumpling I made the day before (my first time making them - they are sooo good and I will definitely make them again) and a cup of hot cocoa.
I settled in on the couch and popped a movie into the laptop. My choice? My favorite ever - Sense and Sensibility. For a couple hours I lost myself in the stories of Elinore, Marianne, Edward, Colonel Brandon, Willoughby, and all the rest. I just sat there and sipped my liquid chocolate, curled up under a blanket on a cold and rainy day, and let myself be captured.
I love this movie. We named Eleanor after Tim's grandma, but I have to confess that a small part of me is thrilled she shares the name of my favorite book character.
The part of the whole thing that I hate is that I don't actually own the movie. I'm just borrowing it from Jeana. I'm hoping that this is the year Tim buys it for me for my birthday or Christmas. The past couple years it is really the only specific thing I ask for - except that the Pride and Prejudice soundtrack has joined the wish list- and every year it is not under the tree. It's not as if he hasn't looked. Last year he went to a ton of different stores - I know because I was in the car waiting as he stopped everywhere on a "Secret Mission" - and couldn't find either of my requests. He was so disappointed but he came up with good back-up gifts, so it was all ok. Maybe this is my year.
In other news - I used a coupon for a free hair service and got my hair highlighted on Saturday. I'm really happy with it. They're a caramel color and actually look perfect for fall since my hair is so dark. It was probably my best coupon ever since they would have been $50 without the coupon. This means I will probably never be able to have them done again, but that's ok. At least my hair will look good for the wedding I'm in this weekend. Well, the color will look good. Who knows what fight my hair will put up when I try to style it?
Here's a food recommendation for the day: Morningstar Ginger and Teriyaki Veggie Cakes. They are extremely tasty. I love them for lunch with some fruit on the side. Mmmm.
Well, that's all the randomness for today. Kids are napping (thank you, God! They didn't yesterday.) My house is trashed and I really should clean, but you know how sometimes you just need a day of no housework coming off the weekend? This is my day.
Enjoy yours!

No comments: