Friday, September 05, 2008

To Hymn or Not To Hymn

The issue of worship has been on my mind a lot. First of all, when did the word "worship" become linked only to music? And why is some Christian music considered "worship" while some is not?
I remember a few years ago listening to the radio while an interview with Nichole Nordeman was playing. The interviewer was saying that he thought the CD contained more worship music than her other's. She responded by stating she hoped all her music would be considered worship as it was a state of her heart when she wrote the lyrics. That has always stuck with me.
Now, if you want worship music you look for Chris Tomlin, Hillsong United, Tim Hughes, Passion, Delirious, etc. Not all Christian music is good. There are some songs that, in my opinion, I am not sure how it got on the radio at all.
But if I am listening to Sara Groves, should I not consider her music to be a form of her worshipping God or a way that I can worship my Savior by singing her lyrics? I think that her music - her lyrics - are the most raw and pure I have heard.
And why is the time that we sing in church considered "worship" as opposed to the rest of the service? Most churches have the "worship team" to lead the singing. And Tim is on one of the teams at our church and I know he struggles with the name as well, but that has just become the way it is known worldwide and so we just accept it like we do all things the church as an institute gives us.
And why the absence of hymns in modern churches today? At my great-grandma's funeral a woman stood up to sing "It Is Well (With My Soul)" and I thought, Ugh. I've never been a fan of this one. Then my sister leaned over and asked "Do you know the story behind this song?" I shook my head. She told me about how the writer, Horatio Gates Spafford, had lost a great deal in the fire of Chicago, his only son had died, and then a couple years later his four daughters were killed when the ship they were getting ready to sail on sunk. He penned the hymn afterwards.
What strength.
I think some of our greatest hymns of the past have risen out of tragedy or the writer's longing to feel close to his or her Savior and Lord. So why do we not sing them still today, unless it is at the funeral of a ninety-eight year old woman.
I'm not saying that I think the music of today is less than the hymns of the past. I am just wondering why we now are quick to pass up some of the old greats. Or why is it a big deal when a Christian band puts out a CD that covers hymns or why they are maybe inspired to put out a "worship" CD?
Worship comes from the heart. You can worship through song, dance, prayer or even reading the Bible. I think that it is what you give to God and a place where your heart connects with His. It can be as simple as a moment or a walk outdoors to thank God for His creation.

2 comments:

Dee said...

Amen sister! We're dealing with this at our church too. A year or so ago, the council decided we needed a second worship service, but after much reflection, realized that the main motivation was because of worship styles. Because our regular pianists are dwindling, they decided to nix the second service because of lack of resources.

They decided to not have a traditional worship or a contemporary worship style, but to have a convergent worship. Basically we have 3 worship teams that plan out the service every third week. Not just the music, but other liturgies, readings, etc that connect with the sermon.

It's actually beginning to be pretty neat. We've only had a handfull of convergent services, but this week we sang afew newer songs with guitar & drums, mixed with a few hymns on the organ. It was really neat worship service, because of that, but also, it was our pastor's last sunday with us (he's moving to GR) and we celebrated two baptisms and communion.

I've had many debates with others about worship and what styles are correct or aren't, and the like. My conclusion is that there is no such thing as right worship - except when you are worshiping with your whole heart. If your attitude and heart are really ready to worship, you can do it singing From the Ends of the Earth, to It is well with my soul. (Sidebar - that is one of my favorite songs because no matter what, my life and circumstances are in God's hands and even if it's a tough situation, that fact makes it well with my soul) You can worship while singing, while praying, while reading a littany, while doing just about anything because worship is about focusing on the Lord, no matter the activity.

We closed with My Friends May You Grow In Grace and everytime I sing that song I think of all my CU pals.

daniella said...

Hi there! I just read the comment you left on my blog and am so amazed at how God brings people together. I'm still speechless but just wanted to tell you that feel the same as you re: this "worship" thing. I'm a worship leader (although currently not doing it because we're still looking for a church in this new city we just moved to) and I must say, when I led I'd always pick at least one or two hymns for the set. Oh, it bothored me so much when the music pastor would tell me I couldn't do a song that's not in the "worship" cattegory (like Nicole Nordeman and Sara Groves: my favorite!!!!). But at the end of the day, I found ways to say "see? they tie into the sermon!" and people don't necessarily have to sing, they can just sit and listen and pray for one song. I could go on and on about this. I enjoy reading your blog!

Nice to "meet" you!