Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Nothing Much New

I haven't really blogged much lately because nothing really exciting has happened to blog about. Noah still loves preschool. Ellie has started on baby cereal - rice cereal made her constipated so we're doing oatmeal. She seems to like the taste of it better and it's been traveling through the system better as well.
Tim has some time off before they start the next house they're working on so he has been doing some side jobs. At first it was scary to hear the words, "We don't start the next house until the end of October" and brought back memories of last year and all the months with no work, but thankfully he has had some people waiting for a break in his schedule to have some work done on their houses. However, his side jobs only go until next week, so be praying for 2 more weeks of work to come after that please!
I briefly mentioned before in a blog that I became a vegetarian. It has been over 3 weeks now and it's going very well. I have not missed meat at all. I've cut down on my dairy a drastic amount and only eat it here and there, mostly when it's unavoidable in a meal. My cheese consumption has gone WAY down - which, did you know that cheese has morphine in it and is actually addictive? So all that time I thought I was addicted to cheese and couldn't live without it - I was! Cheese is harder to give up just because it's in so much also, but I have noticed that when I have a meal with it in it now, I get really sick later. As a result, I don't have a desire for it anymore. Go figure. Now chocolate...I haven't given that up and have no desire to. We have switched to eating only organic snacks also.
So I feel a bit like a hippie with my cloth diapering and vegetarianism/partial veganism. I know some people think we're (or "I'm" since Tim is still eating meat when he can get his hands on it) crazy, but after seeing how good and healthy I feel, it just affirms to me how what we eat really affects us. I have also found changes with Noah. I still offer him meat, but he doesn't really want to eat it. I tell Tim that Noah was born to be a vegetarian because when we offer him a veggie burger or fake-chicken (veggies & soy) he LOVES it. Tonight I'm making Tofu Nuggets so we'll see how those go over. Anyways, everyone told us that the three's are worse than the two's and I have found the past month to be better than the past year for Noah. Sure, he has three year old moments here and there in terms of seeing if he can get away with a demanding voice, etc. but overall, when we are at home he has been obeying, going to sleep easier, getting along great with Ellie and wanting to play with her all the time, not picking fights like before, etc. I wonder how much of it is due to what he is eating (or not eating), as well as probably being in preschool. I did notice that at small group last night he wasn't listening very well to us, but like I said - he does have the occasional moment. I don't expect him to be perfect by any means.
So that's about it. Just little stuff popping up here and there. I finished sewing Noah's quilt top today (finally!) and have been in cleaning mode. When the kids wake up from their naps we're going to go grocery shopping, I have to fold laundry and clean up the kitchen still and then I think tonight I'm running away to Barnes and Noble by myself for a couple hours. The last book in the Karen Kingsbury series came out today and Tim said we don't have the extra money to buy it right now. So I'm going to go sit and read it in Barnes, I think. A little me time away.
Anything exciting new with anyone else?

3 comments:

mckeefamily03 said...

I didn't know the new Karen Kingsbury book came out today! Yeah! I love that series, I will have to go and check it out! Glad you guys are doing well- it is amazing how much we eat affects us!

BITR Country Girl said...

I'm visiting from the SITS blog. I just wanted to say that the photo in your header is beautiful.

daniella said...

Wow, you're brave - giving up all the main food groups I live off of! I've always wanted to do that but unfortunately if I did I'd simply waste away to nothing. My hormones did something to me that just made me lose a lot of weight after having a baby. Maybe I should get it checked out...

Anywho, my favorite way of spending "me" time is at B&N reading a book or magazines because we too can't afford to buy them. I get a cup of tea and maybe a pastry, find a corner and just read.

Speaking of cloth diapering, I'm starting to potty train Charlie because we can't afford diapers as much.

I've never read anything by Karen Kingsbury but I'll have to give her a try since I'm a book worm to the second power. Any suggestions on which book I should try first?

Thanks for visiting!