Monday, September 01, 2008

She's Gone

My great-grandmother, Olive Seitz, passed away this aternoon. It's interesting for me because she may be the first grandparent who I have not cried over when finding out. I remember when Tim's Grandma Ross passed away and he didn't cry. I was stunned, but he said, "She has had Alzheimer's for awhile and I haven't seen her in a long time and as bad as it sounds - she's been dead in my mind already." I thought he was so harsh but now I kind of understand what he meant.
She was a strong, intelligent and beautiful woman with a fiery passion for the Lord. She will be missed.

4 comments:

Pepper Blossom said...

so sorry to hear about your great grandma. i know what you mean about sometimes it actually being a relief that their pain is over. i will be thinking of you in the next few days...

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your great grandma passing away Annie. I never met her but she sounds like she was an amazing woman. I will be praying for you extra this week and let us know if there is anything we can do. I will pray for you to have joy in the midst of sadness and comfort in the midst of grief my friend

Amanda said...

I'm sorry to hear about your great grandma...I can relate to the feeling, though...same thing when my grandpa died a few years ago. A few tears, but mostly just glad he wasn't suffering anymore. Hope your family is holding up ok.

Lindsy said...

I think when my last great grandmother passes I will feel the same. She is going to be 102 on Sept. 20th ~ so she has had a long life and has even out-lived one of her 5 children.
It is hard and sad to see them go, but even harder to watch them suffer.
Our prayers are with you and your family for comfort and traveling mercies.