Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My Deep Thought of the Day...

If we were to cut the salaries of athletes and movie stars maybe there would be more money to get our nation out of debt.
On a serious note, I'm quite sick of hearing how much celebrities make because it just causes me to become bitter and frustrated. I read recently that Hugh Laurie who plays Dr. House (which, I do love that show) is the second highest paid TV star and he makes $400,000 per episode. PER EPISODE! I'm sorry, but if Tim continues to make what he does right now, it will be more or less 8 years before we see that much money. And he makes it for one episode! So I started to think today about how I would spend $400,000:
$400,000
- 40,000 (split 10% tithe between The Journey/charity/people we know who need it)
- 20,000 (Emergency Fund)
- 125,000 (pay off house & related costs)
- 30,000 (for new used vehicles for me & Tim - our's currently have problems more than not)
- 50,000 (to invest, split between Roth IRA and toward kids college educations)
- 35,000 (for a boat and other fun items)
- 100,000 (give $20,000 to each family: my parents, sister, Tim's parents, brother & sister)
_________
$0

How would you spend your's?

5 comments:

Meaghan said...

OMG your heading pic is the cutest pic I have ever seen! You need to enter it into some contest, its too cute to keep to yourself :)

xoxo
Meaghan
www.cancerlost.blogspot.com

Erin Morgan said...

Um... This took some thought. And I'm sure my husband would have a different idea of what we should do with the money. So, here goes (in no particular order). Total $400,000:

$40k: Tithe to Church, charity and other ministries we do and would like to support.
$60K: Put towards parents home so they could move.
$30K: New Car for Ken
$50K: Roth IRA
$100K: Toward house payment. I don't think I'd pay it off, but come very close.
$20K: Emergency Fun
$20K: Vacation and Toys with family
$10K: School Loan that my mother has for my college.
$70K: Extra savings...

Good question... Made me think... And I also get frustrated when I understand and really put into context what celebrities make per episode or per movie. I wonder how much it works out to be per hour on the set/preparing etc.

Dee said...

Holy cow! I never really thought about how far that much money would go.

400,000
-40,000 to my friend Kristen who is fundraising to become a missionary in Africa & other ministries
-180,000 Purchase a new house in a better neighborhood (ours is borderline shady) and get new furniture. I'm tired of having nearly all second hand stuff
-80,000 invested for retirement/future kids college fund
-30,000 for people who need it (aka Flood Recovery)
-5,000 for scrapbooking & sewing supplies over time
-20,000 for vacations with friends
-30,000 savings
-15,000 other fun things

That's a lot of stuff! You always hear the question, If you had a million dollars... I never realized how far that money could stretch!

I heard that in an interview with one of the Rockefellers, they were asked How much money is enough? The answer was just a little bit more. It is crazy first of all to think that what someone earns in "one day's work" (I know they tape multipule days) would seemingly satisfy pretty much my every want and need. Well, but I guess it wouldn't necessarily fulfill my wants because just a little more is so true! Thanks for the thought provoking (envy creating =)) post.

Pepper Blossom said...

i agree with you about how to solve the money problems with the government... another suggestion would be for the executives of the companys that are getting bailouts to be required to see off their extra homes, their extra cars and their extra planes. how much would that help out with? who knows. i do however get very discouraged when i think about what i would even do with $1,000 let alone $400,000! my husband is an educator for goodness sake, a teacher who teaches kids and he makes the equivilant of what they consider to be "low income" here. we are definetly not doing it for the money but enough to actually live on would be great. i HATE, no i ABHORE money conversations and problems!!! wish i could say i would respond with a thankful heart if i just got what i needed daily. though i fear i would be much like the isrealites and start to whine and moan that it wasn't quite enough...

Anonymous said...

Here is how I would spend my 400,000

100,000 (tithe to Church, other ministries)
40,000 (pay off my college debt)
20,000 (Emergency fund)
$15,000 (pay off first adoption)
$25,000 (pay for second adoption)
$30,000 (new car for my wife)
$40,000 (Emma's college fund)
130,000 (buy a house and pay cash)

Now this is just for doing ONE episode of House. So if you think that there are between 25-27 episodes in a season, the amount of money made is mind blowing!