Thursday, December 18, 2008

Dear Fitting Room Mirror

Dear Fitting Room Mirror,
I do not like the games you play. It should be your job to make me look good when I am trying on clothes. Yesterday you failed miserably.
The moment I walked in with my three shirts I knew it was not going to be a fun time. I looked in the mirror and my face looked horribly pale and dark were the circles under my eyes. You made me look washed out in the first sweater and chunky in the second. Is it possible to even have that chub there? I thought to myself. Let's not even talk about the third shirt.
How is it that I could try on that first sweater the day before and it looked great? Then when I come back to use my gift card it looks blah? I am glad I tried the sweater on again since you are apparently lied to me the first time. Or maybe you lied to me last night.
What is with your lighting? It made me look sickly. I cannot possibly look like that in real life. I won't accept it.
My husband had just been telling me the day before that it looked like I was losing weight and when he hugged me I felt thinner. I had been feeling thinner as well when my jeans started to hang a bit. You did not get this memo apparently.
Now it is possible this is not all your fault. I am supposed to have a "visitor" coming soon and in preparation of the arrival I have been eating a bit more sweets than usual. I believe there might be some bloating as well as my jeans have been feeling a wee bit snug. But, really, can't you lie to me a little?
I'll be back, Fitting Room Mirror. This isn't over.
Sincerely,
A Disgruntled Woman

3 comments:

daniella said...

Oh boy. I think it's time to do another fashion post.

Don't you know one of the biggest rules is that you NEVER try stuff on in the dressing room? It's like stting yourself up for failure. Not only are the mirrors evil...and I have a little chub in that one impossible place too when I try stuff on in there (yeah, me!)...but those four walls feel like they'll swallow you any minute.

Buy it, take it home, try it on with some of your own clothes and if it doesn't look good, take it back. Besides, how do you keep your kids sane while in the dressin room? Next thing you know Noah will be saying "Wow mom! Your butt is soooo big!" (because everything is big to them at that age. That happened to my friend).

BexxT said...

haha... It is awesome when you know the jeans you are wearing are like the smallest pair you own and when you look in the mirror you think you look incredibly fat.

But then you are thinking- WAIT! I run like 5 days a week and these are a size SIX! I can't actually look like this to other people, right...

RIGHT???

That happened to me yesterday. It was so depressing.

Also- I have a pair of jeans that I would love to give you- but email me your current size (these are a slightly used size 8 from Banana Republic). They are slightly too short from me- stupid height- and I loved them while they were long enough.

Pepper Blossom said...

i don't even wear clothes anymore i hate them so much! i have a new idea for a clothing line.... post pregnancy and pre-pregancy wieght clothes... nothing looks good with nursing boobs either??? despite what my husband may tell me large breasts are not clothes worthy! any suggestions for that daniella? i would love a fashion post on how to dress large breasts when you are used to small ones!! thanks for sharing andrea and i will remember your suggestion to daniella to not try things on in the dressing room.