Friday, November 07, 2008

Heaven in the Eyes of a Child

Last Thursday Tim was meeting with the guys from our small group so I was left to put the kids to bed on my own. Ellie was crabby and tired so she went down earlier than usual. I was kind of glad because then this left me some time to play with Noah, just the two of us.
Later, while going through the bedtime routine, he picked out the book he wanted to read. It was a book of Bible stories and when we were done reading it I decided that I should probably start talking to him more about all of that. I was also inspired by my friend Rachel, who tried to talk to her son about it awhile ago.
I started with Creation and then skipped to Jesus as I could tell I was starting to lose him. I ended by telling him that someday, if he accepts Jesus into his life, he will not only be his friend but that Noah would be able to live in Heaven forever with Mommy and Daddy and (insert names of grandparents, aunts and uncles.) At this point he got very excited.
"And we will be able to watch "Dora" forever and ever!" he exclaimed.
Slightly thrown off, I said, "No. I don't think so. We will get to sing, though. We will get to sing songs to God as much as we want." I figured he would love this idea since he sings all day long.
"No, Mama. We watch "Dora" in Heaven. Together. Forever."
First of all, we don't even watch "Dora the Explorer" at our house so I'm not sure where she is even coming from.
Secondly, as my mom pointed out when I was telling her about our conversation, if we are watching "Dora the Explorer" for eternity than she is pretty sure we're in hell.
Well, I tried, right? It's all about planting the seeds....

3 comments:

daniella said...

MMMM! Doris' sweet potatoes! I don't know who Doris is but I love anything sweet potatoes, so do tell.

That's too bad that we'll miss each other durring Thanksgiving. We haven't decided when we're getting back to town that weekend. How long will you be here?

Are you kidding? "Dora The Explorer" will be in heaven! But I bet next year or so Noah will change his mind and decide some other "imaginary" friend will be there. It's just part of the age and there's no harm in it if you told him she will be there. They're so imaginative at this age that they don't know how to trully distinguish otherwise. It's like trying to explain to him that Santa isn't real.

I love the way our babies teach us such innocense and tenderness everyday. Love it!

Brewer said...

Hee hee! I'm glad I'm not the only one with a heretical toddler. :) Good for you for starting young! He'll get it soon enough. :)

Jenkins said...

That is just too precious. I am trying to imagine his sweet little voice talking about it.
The first time we talked to Carter about asking Jesus into his heart, he asked if it would hurt because it was hard to get inside his body.