Friday, February 08, 2008

Listen up young punks and daredevil drivers...

To those of you who find it exhilirating to cut people off while driving, run red lights, and make turns when you're not supposed to...you need to stop.
When you are waiting to turn left at a red light and it turns green, it is your responsiblity to WAIT for those coming from the opposite direction (who legally have the right-of-way) to go through the light first and then make sure it is clear before you turn. This means that if it is 2 lanes, one going straight through the light and one turning right...you DON'T go. You don't speed through, cut them off and then laugh hysterically.
Maybe you do this because you think it's cool. Maybe you do it to feel a rush of adrenaline. If you want a rush, go drink a Mountain Dew or something from Starbucks. Don't put the lives of others at risk. Because it's not cool.
Let me give you the perspective of someone in the opposite car. While you're laughing at your daredevil antic, I am wearing my brakes thin by trying to stop suddenly and wearing my nerves thin by preparing myself for an accident. I am in the car with my two and a half year old son on the driver side of the van, whom you would hit if you were turning left and didn't time things the way you had hoped. I am 7 months pregnant with a much bigger than usually belly and fearing for my unborn child's life if I was to hit the steering wheel. Do you want that guilt on your shoulders if you hurt someone in my vehicle because you were trying to make your friends laugh or scream in delight/fear?
If you think you're old enough to drive a car then start being mature too while you're at it.
Start using that brain in your head and stop putting the rest of our lives (as well as your own) at risk.

8 comments:

Lindsy said...

AMEN ~ 'nuf said!
I totally hear you there....doesn't matter where we'd get hit, SOMEONE would get hurt...our backseat has all three of the carseats in it.
Have fun with your Chinese New Year celebration supper! Someday I am going to do stuff like that with the boys :o)

Amanda said...

Oh, I SOOOO could have written something like this a few months ago, only the 'punk' in the other car (SUV) ran a red light well after it turned red and I had a green arrow to turn left. I was SO shaken up I pulled over and cried my head off. So not cool...
Glad you're ok!!!!

Tara Bennett said...

Visiting from SITS and - Amen, Sister!!!

jewelstreet said...

Oh, there are so many people I want to give this letter too. Especially the people who drive my road and then pass the schoolbus when it's stopped.

Debie Napoleon said...

A fellow SITsa say "Amen" to you!

Tiffany said...

Oh, now I am mad.

Jerks.

Great letter, visiting from SITS!

Megan said...

I feel you completely! I don't think I was ever that stupid and now I yell at my husband for going 10mph over the limit. All I think about is my babies in the back seat.

p.s. your babies are absolutely gorgeous!

Aunt Julie said...

We live on a fairly straight stretch of road, and get these crazies quite often. We're really lucky that no one's been hurt yet! Hey there, SITSta, I've got a Great Giveaway Goin' On. Please drop by my place to Check. It. Out!