Saturday, February 16, 2008

I'm COLD!

We went down to Grand Haven's main street (Washington) this morning to view the "Ice Fest" and find out what it's all about. Basically, it's some small ice sculptures in front of the stores and you can watch the ice sculptor at work. After only being out there for about 20 minutes we came back home with red cheeks and noses. Now, 20 minutes after arriving home, my cheeks are still fairly numb but my ears have reached the tingly thawing out feeling. It's a beautiful morning though - thanks to the awesome sunshine I have felt so deprived of recently. Talk about Vitamin D deficiency...and I can't even "fake bake" to make up for it. So I just turn on a hot shower and pretend I'm in the tropics.
Speaking of tropics, my parents are leaving next week for a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean. I'm so happy for them (although slightly jealous that they will get to experience a week of sunshine, warm weather, and yummy food.) It has always been my dad's dream vacation, and since he turned the Big 50 last month, they saved up to be able to celebrate in a big way. My mom turns 50 in another three years and they will celebrate that by going on an Alaskan cruise, which is her dream vacation. My mom for a few months was quite nervous about the upcoming cruise and the possibilities of running into an iceberg. I told her the chances of that happening in the Caribbean have to be pretty slim to none. When I talked to her this morning she sounded pretty excited about the trip so I'm glad she is conquering her fears.
We had an uneventful Valentine's Day. Both of us kept forgetting about it completely and by the time dinner came around (spaghetti) I had put a candle in the middle of the table and we used cloth napkins to at least make it seem as if we tried. We have had many romantic Valentine's Days and we didn't feel bad for taking this year off. It was kind of nice, actually, not worrying about what to get each other or trying to find time to get a card or stressing about finding a baby-sitter, etc. As we cheesily told each other later "Every day is Valentine's Day with you." Don't worry, we don't really speak to each other like this seriously.
I'm convinced Noah is going to be a worship leader or Christian artist someday. He picks up on songs so quickly and can sing right along with them...although not every word might be understandable. He can carry the tune almost perfectly - much better than me, his non-musical mother. =) I love music...I just wasn't blessed with the gift of singing voice.
Eleanor seems to be doing well. She's quite active and I have the unfortunate habit of waking up at 4:00 in the morning at least 3 times a week and not being able to fall back asleep. This makes for a very long day. I just finished my 30th week and when I look at how busy our March is I know the time is going to fly until she arrives! I am still reading lots of books about natural childbirth and am feeling so wonderfully confident about it. It helps that my friend, Kelly, is also trying it this time around so we can bounce our thoughts and resources off each other. Tim is very encouraging and told me the other night that he is positive I'll be able to do it. It helps to have a supportive husband. I just tend to shut out the negative comments from people and focus on the positive support I have received from others who have done it.
My faith continues to be stretched and grow. I think the hardest thing of the past few months' struggles was stepping away from the "safe" faith that I grew up with and learning about so many qualities and characteristics of the Lord that were never much discussed. This has been difficult for me because for the past 27 years I have walked the same path of beliefs, being lukewarm in my faith. Not to say I don't strongly believe...but I've never really been challenged. Now I am studying and reading and loving the God who I am coming to know more and more as Father rather than just that guy up in Heaven watching over everything. I am trusting Him more readily and giving up the control I thought I had in my life. Difficult? Absolutely. Rewarding? Most definitely.

1 comment:

Lindsy said...

Are you sure Noah wouldn't rather be a builder? We may need him to head over here and build us an ark....our basement is flooding ~ NOT FUN :o(
We stayed in for Valentine's Day too....just soooo much easier than dragging three kids out to a restaurant when they'd rather be home anyway :o)