Monday, February 04, 2008

If You're Looking For...

We have many friends in the West Michigan area that have their own small businesses and are very talented in what they do. I thought I would stick their names and websites on here in case anyone is looking for something they can offer.
PAINTING & HOME RESTORATION
Naturally, I'm going to put my husband's small business first. He does painting, handyman work, flooring, trimwork, custom designs, design consultations (for those who just aren't quite sure what color or finish to go with), etc. He is passionate about what he does, loves going to work, has been blessed with a talent I don't have, and we would of course welcome your support and business. He does free estimates and gives a 3% referral commision (from labor costs) to any jobs you help bring his way. You can check out his blog at:
http://www.rossrestorations.blogspot.com/.
PHOTOGRAPHY
We know so many photographers and I hate that in reality...they're all competition for each other. However, they all kind of have their own areas of expertise so I will include what I think they're best at in case you're looking for something specific.
My friend, Christina, enjoys taking pictures of kids, pregnant women, and has done families as well. You can check out her blog at: http://www.gracedesignsphotography.blogspot.com/ or click on the link to the right under the blogs I read.
Our friend, Jeana, does not have a website. She has assisted in weddings, taken kids pictures (including Noah's), senior pictures, and is great at capturing nature. She does it more "on the side" of the job she already has, so her prices vary depending on what you're looking for. She is in Muskegon and you can comment if you want information on how to get a hold of her. At the moment, all money she earns from her photography is going straight to their adoption fund.
Coastline Studios, owned by our friend, John, does photography and videography. He has done weddings, family portraits, and commercial work (a lot for Cornerstone University.) His website is: http://www.coastline-studios.com/.
Noah's "One Year" pictures were captured by Lisa, who owns Elite Photo Design. She mainly does weddings, bellies, babies & kids. You can see her work at http://www.elitephotodesign.com/.
Quite a few posts down I posted some photos from Cornerstone's Alumni weekend that were taken by Mindy. Her website is http://www.thisphotostory.com/.
INTERIOR DESIGN
The wife of John, who I mentioned earlier owns Coastline Studios, is Amy. She is an interior designer and her website can be viewed at http://www.refreshdesign.net/.
Margaux is an interior designer that Tim has started working with in East Grand Rapids. You can view some examples of her work at http://www.mdrake.com/
CUSTOM METAL WORK
Our friend, and Tim's business partner, Tim has a passion for custom metal design. He has really taken off, thanks to the website Etsy, and even sold a guitar shaped table to Barney's of New York that is now displayed in their brand new location in Las Vegas. You can find more information on him and his work at http://www.timothyadamdesigns.blogspot.com/.
CHURCH
If you're looking for a church where the focus is more on relationships than religion - relationship with God first as well as others - and is someplace that is casual and come as you are, then check out The Journey Community Church in Muskegon. You can find service times and more information at http://www.thejourneycc.com/. This is where Tim and I attend and we absolutely love it and are passionate about their vision and what they're doing in West Michigan.

So if you're looking to support any local artists or small business owners and have a need for any of the above services, make sure to check out some of the above mentioned. Of course, I know there are tons of others in the area (hello, Grand Rapids is a pretty big place!) but naturally I am biased in supporting the people we know! We have had experience with everyone mentioned and that is how I am able to recommend them after being pleased with the work I have seen.

3 comments:

Lindsy said...

YEA! What a great post! I have become *almost* 100% WAHM supportive now, and I have been very fortunate to find so many nice WAHMs in the cloth diapering community....send me the info on Jenna though for the photography ~ I'll have to check her out...the main reason why we keep going back to JCP because they are so cheap...and we have a TON of family (Dad is #4 of 7 kids, Mom is #7 of 8 kids....and it has only grown exponentially since then!)but I am tired of the long waits ~ especially withe having to bring all the boys with me.....

Lindsy said...

Oops ~ I butchered her name....Jeana....SORRY :o(

Lacey Rumley said...

I looked at your Tim's website...Wow! Those "before" pictures are absolutely horrifying. But the "afters" are beautiful! He does gorgeous work! I'll keep him in mind if we're ever in need of a restoration guy!