Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Blizzard of Books Reading Review

Here are the books I have read so far for the library's Blizzard of Books adult reading club (complete with prizes for every 5 read!) I thought I would keep you guys updated in case any strike your fancy and you feel like a good read.

*Dawn's Light by Terri Blackstock - it's the last in the Restoration series. They're Christian suspense, easy reads. I wouldn't say to read them before you die someday, but they didn't feel like a waste of time either.

*Thursdays at Eight by Debbie Macomber - I really enjoy Debbie Macomber's books. This one didn't disappoint. I like that her characters feel like real people to me, not the untouchable and idealistic personalities that can only be written.

*Home to Holly Springs by Jan Karon - I highly recommend reading the Mitford series and then travel on to this one. They're so good.

*Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott - Pass. Unless you like reading books in which the author claims God is a woman, fetuses are not babies which makes abortion ok, and having numerous sexual partners gets you through life. These are her beliefs that the rest of us Christians should accept into our lives, in her opinion. You can find this one at your local Christian bookstore, ironically.

*The Trophy Wives Club by Kirsten Billerbeck - enjoyable. A light read. Very girly. I'm waiting for the sequel to come available in the library. (Side note: Daniella, I could see you enjoying this one!)

*A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini - He also wrote The Kite Runner, which I recommend. I would also encourage you to read this one. I think I might have liked it a bit more since it's from the perspective of a woman. You will learn much about Afghanistan history and culture and you will appreciate your life. To quote my friend, Jen, who pestered me to read these books until I relented, "If I had to use one word to sum up Kite Runner, it would be redemption. If I had to pick one word for A Thousand Splendid Suns it would be beauty. You'll see why." You guys can now go find out for yourselves!

*Stealing Buddha's Dinner by Bich Minh Nguyen - I just finished this one minutes ago. I would actually highly recommend it. It is the memoir of a woman whose family migrated from Saigon in 1975 when she was 8 months old. They settled in Grand Rapids and the book recounts how she felt being Vietnamese and growing up in blond Dutch country over here. For those of you who live/have lived in West Michigan, you'll recognize many of the streets, stores and places she talks about, which makes it fun to read.

*Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier - Blah. It wasn't the most horrible book I've read but I was fairly bored through most of it. I've heard the movie is kind of dull as well.

*Firstborn by Robin Lee Hatcher - I thought this one was a decent read. It's another Christian fiction so you can probably guess the ending just by reading the back of the cover.

*Brushstrokes by Laurraine Snelling - See above description for Firstborn and insert here.

In my Trader Joe's bag lies even more books waiting to be read. I'm going to take the rest of today off from reading as well as tomorrow because I'll be visiting my friend, Rachel, and her boys for the day. Thursday will resume nerdiness. =)

Has anyone read any of these or have any other recommendations to throw out there?

3 comments:

Lacey Rumley said...

Hi, friend! First I must say that although I've never read Anne Lamott, I've heard the name and assumed she was a Christian author. But then I read your comments and some more reviews on amazon.com, and I'm a little shocked and dismayed that she's representing Christ with her words! Yikes! I've read Kirsten Billerbeck before, and she's a fun, light, girly read. Sorry to say, I haven't read anything of note lately. The latest thing I picked up at the library was the Fireproof DVD, which I'm looking forward to watching with Luke on Valentine's Day.

On a completely different note...You can sew, right? If I ever come out your way, would you consider helping me make this: http://thehomespunheart.blogspot.com/2009/02/simple-skirts.html? It looks easy (if you know how in the world to sew a stitch, which I don't really), and I think it would be great for Grace this summer. (Especially since it only takes 1/2 yard of fabric, some elastic, ribbon, and thread.) I'm amazed at people like you who can do crafty things! I wish I was crafty and could sew/knit/crochet/whatever-else-would-be-a-handy-skill-to-have!
Anyway, I'm leaving a novel-sized comment on your post! Have a great week!

daniella said...

Dang, girl! That's quite a list. How long does it take you to read a book?

I have read The Trophy Wives Club and it's nothing compared to her other books. My favorite series was the Ashley Stockingdale one. If you're in for girlie reads, pick this series.

I just got done reading "Secret Life of Becky Miller" - another Christian chick-lit about life of a mom who try's to juggle too much. It was a cute read. I also just got done reading "Dear John" by Nicholas Sparks. It was ok.

I'm really looking forward to reading the Twilight series. My sister is pretty much making me do it so I'm happily obliging.

If you want a good read, get "Where The Heart Is". I'm sure you could find it at the library.

D Wright said...

I love books by Jan Karon too! She invites you to visit her website at www.mitfordbooks.com. I know you will enjoy the site!