Thursday, October 01, 2015

Thirsty Women


I sat in a group of 11 women this morning, Bibles open. 

For some people, a Bible study setting can be a scary thing.  The first thing we start with in ours is prayer requests and praises.  To share a serious request, you have to trust the women sitting around the table with you.  If I reveal this part of my life that desperately needs prayer, will they tell other women in their lives about it?  If I'm struggling through something, are there going to be people not in my Bible study who are aware of it the next time I walk by them?  Trust is hard, but important.

I have been participating in Ladies' Bible study at my church for the past 6 years.  Some women in the group are the same, some are new, some have left.  The group this year is bigger than last year, which I think speaks to a growing number of women who want to grow deeper in studying God's Word.

I have laughed and cried with women in my Bible study.  I have poured out my heart at times and confessed struggles that I'm not proud of.  Every time the women are loving and speak words of Truth to my soul.  I know that I can trust these sisters.  I know that we are bonded together by a love for Jesus.

Bible study morning is probably my favorite morning of the week and has been since I started attending.  There is a warmth and comfort knowing that these women don't judge but that they also want God's best for me.  They are not afraid to correct or call out sin for what it is.

It's a quite beautiful picture, really.  A group of women of different ages and from different journeys in life to come together, open their Bibles, wanting to quench a thirst to know God more...seeking refreshment and community.

   

No comments: