Friday, March 29, 2013

Forgiveness on Friday

I feel like I haven't taken much time this week to reflect on the fact it's Holy Week.  Usually the kids and I are reading in The Jesus Storybook Bible about the events leading up to the crucifixion and Resurrection.  I don't know if it's because we've been so busy or what, but our readings have not been happening this time around.  Last night, I went to look for that Bible and don't even know where it has ended up!  I grabbed Noah's Bible instead and we ended up reading and discussing Maundy Thursday and what we take special time to remember over the next few days.
It is weeks like this one that make me so thankful for forgiveness, for grace, for mercy.  At times when I feel I just need a break and time away, I've been reminded that Jesus did not run from the cross.  He died for everyone.  Whether people choose to accept His Way as the only way, or not, He died to give them the opportunity to spend an eternity in Heaven.  I believe He longs for us all to be with Him...but only through belief and acceptance of Him.  No other way, no other god, no other belief can get one to Heaven.

John 14:6
"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.'"

We are living in a time where people, including some pastors, are starting to blur the lines of who can get into Heaven and how.  Basically, you can believe what you want and make it in because who am I to tell you you're wrong?  That would be offensive.  And we are to love people.  Loving people means not stepping on toes, right?

Matthew 7:14
"For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."

I think it would be like a slap in the face, another beating from a whip, another thorn pressed into the head of a Savior who died - DIED - took our place, so that we may spend eternity with Him.  He tore the veil. 

He extended forgiveness.  I know I sin more than I wish I did.  Still he forgives me when I seek it earnestly.

Grace.  He is giving us a gift that we do not deserve.

Mercy.  He wants to save us from an eternity we do deserve so that we can be with Him.

He became a sacrificial lamb and shame on me if I throw what He did out the window and say it doesn't matter in the end because I'll just get to Heaven the way I want to.

Lord, forgive me when I am prideful and think I can control my own life.  Thank you, THANK YOU, for this Friday...this day you took my place and showed me a love like no one else can.  You are holy.  You are pure.  You love me and I will forever be grateful.  

No comments: