Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tasty Treat Tuesday

Are you ready for this? It's deeeeelicious! We have had it for breakfast, and when we're in the mood, we have had it for dinner and made it a heartier meal by serving it with some scrambled eggs and sausage or bacon. I don't think it's healthy, but it sure is tasty!

Puffed Pancake with Fruit Sauce
4 eggs
1 c. all purpose flour
1 c. milk
2 T. sugar
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 1/2 T. butter or margarine
2 T. sifted powdered suga
1/2 t. cinnamon

Topping
3-4 c. fresh or frozen fruit of your choice (the recipe actually calls for blueberries but we usually make it with frozen strawberries - yum!)
1/2 c. water
1 c. sugar
1 t. lemon juice (I don't think I've ever actually used lemon juice and it still came out fine)
2 T cornstarch mixed with a little cold water

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; beat until smooth at medium high speed of electric mixer. Place batter in freezer while skillet is heating.
Place butter in a 10 in. oven-proof skillet; place in a 425 degree oven for 4 minutes or until butter sizzles and skillet is hot.
Pour batter immediately into hot skillet. Bake 27-34 minutes or until puffed and golden. DO NOT OPEN OVEN BEFORE 25 MINUTES. Combine powdered sugar and cinnamon and sift over hot pancake. Serve immediately with topping. Use whipped cream if so desired.
For topping: Steam berries with water until soft. Add sugar and lemon juice. Continue to cook about 2 minutes. Wisk in cornstarch mixture - just enough to thicken slightly. Stir until thick and bubbly.
This recipe is from the Grand Rapids Baptist Schools Cookbook: Volume 2.

My word of caution: REMEMBER that the pan, having been in the oven, will be hot for a long time afterward. I have burned myself a few times in the hurry to get everything served and grabbing the pan without thinking. Please think. =)

2 comments:

daniella said...

Have I told you that Tasty Treat Tuesday have become the highlight of my week? Oh yes, especially in light of my awful cooking last week.

Can't wait to try this pancake recipe, it sounds scrumptuoulescent. I think I just made up a word.

So, what's your email address?

Lindsey said...

I've done the same thing when I've made pineapple upsidedown cake in my skillet. I think it's a natural instinct when you're used to the handle of the pan being cool...

I"m making breakfast for dinner tomorrow night, I just might have to try this instead of regular pancakes!