Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I Love This Book

One of my goals for 2009 is to finish reading the Bible. I'm reading it straight through from Genesis to Revelation because that is how I read any book. Right now I am in Proverbs (this is a goal that is ongoing from last year.) Yesterday I came across a verse that made me jump for joy. Ready?
Proverbs 16:31 - Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life.
I have quite a few strands of gray woven into my brown hair. I have always said that as I age and gray I don't want to highlight, dye or cover it up. It is expensive and time consuming to keep up! I have watched my mom do it for years, both with at-home kits and salon appointments. In October I had my hair highlighted at the Douglas J institute in Grand Rapids. I did this because I had a coupon for a free service and who would turn down FREE highlights, when they're normally upwards of $50 minimum. Tim has always supported my plan to gray gracefully (since it saves him money in the end.) Every once in awhile I wistfully wonder if I should pick up a box of L'Oreal at the grocery store. I never do and now I at least have a verse to back me up in my graying. My grays are the start of my crown, or maybe they start at my crown...

I also came across another verse yesterday that I have heard before, but you know how it is when you read it at a time that God has really prepared you for?
Proverbs 16:3 - Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.
Now, I'm not going to go all Joel Osteen on all of you and say that we should strive for wealth and worldly success because I don't think that is what life is about (Right, Renee? Renee loooves Joel - and that is complete sarcasm.) But isn't it nice to know that the Lord's hand is in what we do when we ask Him for guidance and follow? I was checking out the verse in Tim's Bible because his is a Study Bible and has little footnotes at the bottom and for this verse it says: Commit. Lit., roll. Roll your burdens on the Lord; although they may cause you anxiety, they are not too great for Him.
It is such a refreshing reminder. "Nothing, nothing, absolutely nothing...nothing is too difficult for Thee." (Did anyone else sing that in church?)
While we're on a spiritual post today, I'd like to ask for prayer for a few things.
1. Our friends, Josh and Sara Troast. Sara is 28 weeks pregnant with her second baby, a boy who will be named Jacob. She is starting to show strong signs of preeclampsia. She had it with their daughter, Elaine, and delivered her at 30 weeks. Please keep the health of Sara and baby Jacob in your prayers as well as guidance for the doctors in making decisions.
2. Tim has a meeting today for work. His job could be changing as he might start working with another crew. We're praying for a good interview today as well as guidance in the decisions ahead. The crew he has been working with were told they were going to have to take a $5/hour paycut and, after looking at our budget, we simply cannot live on that. We would be scraping by just to pay our bills, gas and groceries and we don't even have debt! However, with this new job, he gives up being self-employed which means, above all, he couldn't take off work to do side jobs and that is where he makes good money and builds contacts.
3. Hmmm. I thought I had another one. I guess it slipped my mind if I did. Oh, well. I would appreciate your prayers on the first two and will keep you posted on God's answers. Thanks!

1 comment:

Deidra said...

Keep us posted on Tim's job status! It sounds like things are and will come together.