Monday, March 12, 2007

I Chose Tim

I sat on the couch this evening snuggled next to my husband. Comfortable in my hooded sweatshirt and lounge pants, I was content with a book on my lap. Tim sat next to me reading his Wright Angles newsletter. The last rays of the day's sun were fading into the west and children's laughter could be heard even through the closed balcony door. Even though it can be difficult in the morning to adjust to the daylight savings time change, I relish the light early evenings. If I ignored the fact I was clothed head to toe and covered with a blanket, I could close my eyes and pretend it was summer based on the sounds alone. It has been so long since I've heard the kids from the apartments playing outside, riding their bikes and shrieking laughter while enjoying their childhood days.
I opened my eyes and continued to reading. I am, as my father-in-law called it, a "compulsive reader." He is, too, and I enjoy the connection I feel with him, as well as my mother-in-law, over books. We stayed at their house last night on the way home from Tennessee and today they sent me home with at least ten books to keep me occupied for awhile. The first one I picked up is called Home to Harmony, by Philip Gulley. They had informed me it was a light read and that is just what I needed during the drive home.
I finished the chapter I was reading and was struck by the last paragraphs. I re-read them twice more and read them aloud to my husband.

"We don't think people will love us as we are, so we pretend to be someone we're not.
My father pretending to be a Quaker.
Roger making believe he's a vegan.
Wrinkled women lifting their faces, chasing their youth.
Fat men sucking in their bellies.
Poor folks putting on airs.
Sinners acting like saints.
All of us keeping pace with our companions, stepping lively in this dance of deceit.
It is so hard, in this world, to be who we are.
My mother reached across and rubbed my father's shoulder. She said, 'I'd have married you whether you were a Quaker or not.'
'Really?' he asked.
'Really,' she said.
'How come?" he asked.
'Because you were worth loving,' she told him."
-Home to Harmony, by Philip Gulley, page 158

I thought about how true it is. When you first start dating someone, you do things to impress them. It might be dressing a certain way, spending more time on your hair or makeup, showing interest in things you could care less about.
Over time, our true selves of course begin to show. We can only keep up the charade for so long. My theory is that it starts to happen around six months. I call it the "Six Month Curse" and have seen just about every relationship I can think of, including my own, go through it. It makes or breaks your relationship.
Tonight I sat next to my husband. The one who broke my heart in college after six months of dating and then three days later presented his case for why I should date him again. After that there was no more acting. It was the good, the bad, and the ugly.
I thought about all the little things he knows about me. He knows the obvious from the foods I like and dislike, to the secretive - my fears, dreams, and goals that I only share with him. I believe that I look at him and know the same. Yes, we are always finding out new things about each other...we change as individuals as we grow and mature so it is always a learning process. Nothing in my life is secret from him, though. We can ask each other the most personal questions and know we will get an honest answer in return, even if it hurts.
Tim is worth loving. When we were married, I had his wedding ring engraved with the words, "I choose you." There are millions of people out there you can choose to marry and spend your life with. The choice is what makes it all the more important to be committed to your marriage. When you marry a person, you are saying, "I am choosing to love you. I am choosing to accept your strengths and weaknesses, your flaws, and the ways in which you show your love to me. I understand there will be hard times, but I am choosing to walk through those with you - hand in hand together."
I finished reading Home to Harmony tonight, just hours after I started reading it. What can I say...My name is Andrea and I am a compulsive reader. I enjoyed the book so much that I am thrilled it is just the first in a series and I can move on to the next one.
I loved sitting on the couch with Tim tonight. Both of us reading what interests us, the apartment quiet around us. There was no noise from the television or radio, just children's laughter outside. With the day's sunlight fading, it was just us on the couch...two people who had chosen to accept each other fully.

88 comments:

dmarks said...

What is the "Wright Angles" newsletter, pray tell? Thanks.

Andrea said...

dmarks - It is a newsletter that you receive if you have a membership for the Frank Lloyd Wright association out of Chicago. If you are into architecture, it is worth looking into! Wright is my husband's favorite architect.

dmarks said...

I guessed that was the case, but was not sure. That's a Wright journal that I have not subscribed to, but I have subscribed to others and have traveled far and wide to see Wright buildings.

I assume your husband has seen the one or two Wright houses in Grand Rapids? Yes, "one or two" is the best description, because one of them is debated.

There are also others worth seeing in the state.

Melissa Papaj Photography said...

ohhh how sweet :)

Days of Whine & Noses said...

I like your blog, happy SITS day!

Ritch in Love said...

What a great blog. So sincere!

Simply AnonyMom said...

Very nice! Happy SITS day

Xazmin said...

Beautiful post! By the time I'd known my husband for 6 months, we'd already been married for 1 of those months!

We're still here 13 years later though - so I guess we chose wisely!

Kathy G said...

I thouroughly enjoyed reading your blog post and reflected on my own marriage. Thank you for sharing. I would love to know the author of the book I would love to read , I love to read , with my three kids its hard to fit it in, but I when I manage to I am in heaven.

Beth said...

Beautiful. Marriage is a choice you make every day. I choose Michael. :)

cat said...

What a lovely post, and yes, I confess, I am a compulsive reader too! And can you believe it - Frank Lloyd Wright is also my favorite architect - I am an architect. Greetings from South Africa.

BloggessJ said...

Beautiful post!

Rachael said...

I absolutely love what you wrote here:

There are millions of people out there you can choose to marry and spend your life with. The choice is what makes it all the more important to be committed to your marriage. When you marry a person, you are saying, "I am choosing to love you. I am choosing to accept your strengths and weaknesses, your flaws, and the ways in which you show your love to me. I understand there will be hard times, but I am choosing to walk through those with you - hand in hand together."

That is so true! Happy SITS day!

janis said...

aaawww.... sweet :)

Anonymous said...

It's a very sweet post.

Today is my 5 year wedding anniversary so the timing is perfect.

I'm so glad I found my husband and I'm glad you are too.

Housewife Savant said...

I LOVE Philip Gulley, and like you; I shared bits while shnuggling with my Mr.

Great post!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Happy SITS day!

Loved reading that post! How very, very sweet!

(on a side note: I wasn't aware there were Wright houses in Grand Rapids...I want to see them!)

said...

I got a major case of warm fuzzies after reading this post. Seriously, though, I enjoyed the well-written and colorful passages.

Willo said...

Perfect words. I am going to go kiss my hubby!

Jamiedidit said...

This is beautiful I cam over from SITS and am so glad I found you!

Unknown said...

Lovely post, I'm glad you were featured today.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post.

Debbie Y. said...

My name is Debbie and I am a compulsive reader too! I absolutely love this post, how you interpreted a passage from a book and used it to define some choices you have made in your life. Obviously, Tim was a very good choice. Glad you were the FB on SITS today. I will be back to read some more of your life.

Happy SITS Day!!

Denise Grover Swank said...

Beautiful post.

BumbleBeeRunning said...

This was absolutely beautiful. It reminded me of exactly what a single gal like me is holding out hope for :)

Heather said...

this is a lovely post (written on my birthday!).

i'm a newlywed and facing all the challenges of the first year. i haven't found it to be too challenging yet, just finding that it truly is a partnership and one that each has to be committed too.

thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Angie said...

There is something so wonderful about just sitting with someone....loved your post! Congrats on being featured today. :-)

Estela said...

Andrea, This was beauifully written. What a wonderful tribute to finding what love truly means. Thanks for the breathtaking pause you have given me today...to reflect on relationships and life.

KBroome said...

I love how you engraved his ring with "I choose you." What a simple but powerful meaning for marriage. I hope you don't mind, but I quoted you on my blog today. I gave you credit of course.

jubilee said...

Lovely post. More people need to realize that love is a choice, not an emotion. There would be a less heartache in the world. And they would have a clearer vision of who God is.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Happy SITS Day! What a beautiful post.

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

That's really lovely...I love the sentiment of being "worth loving" in spite of our blemishes!!!

Cammie said...

This is such a sweet post. I also have a "book" connections with my father in law. I love it!

Alicia @ Oh2122 said...

That was wonderful.

You have quite a way with words.

Tori said...

Beautiful. My boyfriend and I are at a year and a half--and we understand that it is a choice to love. <3 Happy SITS day!

Amy said...

I love that concept. Very true :)

Laurel said...

Lovely post! I'm a book lover too ... and I am pretty glad I chose my husband:).

Carma Sez said...

nice post. Sounds like you have a very giving relationship. Acceptance of each other's flaws is not always easy :-)

The Me/ The Wife/ The Mom said...

Beautiful - I wish you that feeling love and contentment for the rest of your lives.

Tara said...

Beautiful post! i ♥ my hubby too!

Amy said...

How beautiful! I love that you engraved his ring "I Choose You" What great insights you have provided.

Decor To Adore said...

My name is Laura and I too am a compulsive reader.
Every morning I wake up with a choice. Free will allows us anything. Some days its a struggle to make the right choice, the best choice, the lasting choice.

Marrdy said...

I am betting Tim chooses you too! What a great post.

Michelle said...

Oh that was so lovely! What a beautiful sentiment, and if only more people understood and followed it!

Anonymous said...

That was delightful! What a beautiful moment - I felt like I was right there on the couch with you guys :)

Kendra said...

Beautiful! Happy SITS day!

Michelle said...

That's sweet.

I'm putting that book in my queue..LOL.

Gamma Sharon said...

I love those quiet evenings when all seems right with the world.

Reeni said...

What a sweet and thoughtful post!

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

Such an eloquent post, and so refreshing to read about two people who are still in love after years of marriage and kids!

Unknown said...

Ahh I too am a compulsive reader. It's very unfortunate because since I have had my children I literally have to avoid books so that my kids don't end up having to care for themselves. I loved the passage out of that book though. It is so true.

Mimi Head said...

A wonderful post! It's what is important in life.

Mrsbear said...

Aw, that was lovely. Happy SITS day. It's wonderful when your reading prompts such sweet insights, thanks for sharing.

Patricia said...

that was beautiful. What a lovely sentiment to have engraved on your husband's ring. simply precious.

I, too, am a compulsive reader. I wish my husband was too. :)

Tori C. said...

It warms my heart to know that you get along so well with your in-laws.

Sandy said...

What a wonderful post! Happy SITSday:0)

Sheryl said...

Have a great SITS day.

Maridith said...

What a wonderful insightful post. Very open and honest. Happy SITS Day!! Maridith

Amy said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Judah said...

wow!! great entry!! I love to read too!! oh how I love books!!
Happy SITS Day

Melissa said...

How beautiful! I'm enjoying your blog! :)

Catalina said...

This is so pretty. I've been with my boyfriend for over 4 years and hoping we stay together forever. He also broke my heart and then came back, and he's the same that always tells me "I choose to love you, cant believe you choose me too".
Thanks for sharing this

Sam_I_am said...

We have several Frank Lloyd Wright buildings near our home, like Falling Water. I haven't been there in years, but I'd love to go back.

I really like your thoughts on "choosing" your husband. My other relationships could have worked, but I didn't want them, I wanted Fiance.

Mathea said...

Love this blog post! I met my hubby and started with being tired of putting on airs so I didn't. And we are going to celebrate 5 years this weekend and 2 gorgeous kids!
And I am a compulsive reader, always at the Library!

Kris said...

What an enjoyable read! I love your take on this being a choice. Just wonderful!

Trina said...

What great sentiment. I too am grateful I chose my husband. In August we will have been married 19 years. I am grateful to say I love him more and more each day. I hope you showed him this post and he showed you how much he appreciated it.

Unknown said...

I love this post! Happy SITs day.

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting said...

Very sweet!

Alison said...

I'm a compulsive reader too. Great post.

Kate said...

What a great post!

Brittany said...

This is an absolutely lovely post. Your sincerity and transparency are refreshing!

I am pleased to hear that the Lord has blessed you so abundantly with a Godly man!

Visiting from SITS. :)

Anonymous said...

This is a beautifully written post! I'm visiting from SITS and am so glad I stopped by. Like you, I am very grateful that I chose wisely!

Preston said...

Congratulations on your SITS day and it sounds like you have a wonderful marriage.

Katie Lane said...

I agree. Think you for those words. My Hubby always says "I'm happy with my choice." Now I understand.

StacieinAtlanta said...

Great blog post! Happy SITS day!!

Leslie said...

Wow, it sounds like you have a wonderful relationship. You are blessed. But you knew that.

Whispering Writer said...

Beautiful post. I am so glad you were today's FB at SITS.

Fiauna said...

Stopping by from SITS. What a nice post. We are also fans of Frank Lloyd Wright, though no architects.

Fiauna said...

I meant to say we are NOT architects, but what I typed made it sound like we are not fans of architects. Jut wanted to clear that up.

Meg said...

That was a wonderful post. It was so insightful and honest.

Dianna@KennedyAdventures said...

I commend you on putting your marriage first. It will be one of the greatest gifts you give your children. Cheers,from one happily married momma to another!

Playground for Parents said...

Happy SITS day! Congrats on being featured!

Tanielle said...

That was really sweet! I need to try harder in my marriage!

Thanks for sharing!

www.AForestFrolic.typepad.com said...

That is so sweet and so true! Love the post.

StampinMom :-)

Ali said...

It is great when we find someone who chooses us also. Wonderful post:)

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Awesome!! What a sweet, heartfelt post! LOOOOOOOOOOOVE it!!

Lissa K said...

I loved your post! I am equally blessed to be married to a man who is also my best friend...the one person in this world I trust my heart and soul with. (we just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary 2 wks ago)
I will have to look for that book too...I also am an addicted reader!
Happy SITS day!

Karren said...

Beautiful post!