Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Good

I love living in Michigan at this time of the year. 
True, during dinner yesterday, it was raining, sunny, and cold all at the same time.  That's what makes it fun, right?  The weather is a guessing game when you live in Michigan.
The temperature, though, in the 60s, is perfect to me.  The mix of sun and clouds throughout the day are a great balance.  After such a hot, sunny summer, it's nice to have a little bit of a dreary day that makes you want to grab a blanket and curl up. 
I'm eating leftover loaded baked potato soup that I made in the crockpot yesterday.  There is a pumpkin-nutmeg scented candle that is lit on the dining room table.  My neck is being kept warm by a fall scarf - not too bulky, not too light - that I've had for years, and my toes are cold.  I tried putting socks on them yesterday but they came off after a couple hours.  I'm just not there yet.  The first batch of pumpkin chocolate chip muffins just came out of the oven and I'm having to hold myself back from diving into them.

All I can do is look around, breathe in the scents, and think,  
God is good.  I mean, really good.
It doesn't always seem like it.  Not in my life, not in the lives of others, not in the news.  There are times it seems like God is absent.  But he's not.  He's there, even if He's quiet.  He's good, even when life doesn't feel like it.  He can't be anything else.
That is such a hard concept to get.  I don't always get it.  There are days like today when it is easier to take in than others.  There are days when our prayer requests seem more numerous than our praises.  It doesn't change the fact that HE IS GOOD.
Always.

"The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he knows those who take refuge in him." -Nahum 1:7

Have you taken the time to notice God's goodness today in your life?

No comments: