Saturday, January 05, 2008

Are you crazy?

I have decided that I want to have a natural, drug-free childbirth with this baby.
Yes, apparently I am crazy.
I had the epidural with Noah, and although it made for a pain-free labor all afternoon, it screwed up the entire process. The first time I saw this new doctor in Grand Haven she bombarded me with questions about Noah's labor and delivery. She told me that although 21 hours is a long time to be in labor and 2 hours is a long time to push...they are actually the average for the first time birthing process. However, she said that from how it sounds the fact that they gave me the epidural as early as they did (4 cm dilated) resulted in the labor going from regular and strong to irregular. I had to end up receiving pitocin to help things along because I was stuck at 6 for hours. She said that this time around they wouldn't be administering it as early in an attempt to help things progress more natural and quicker.
This got me to the mind-set of "I don't want to ask for an epidural until I absolutely need it." I was ok at that mindset. Until this past week.
I do prenatal yoga and I love it. I skip over the final relaxation part and usually ignore when they talk about "stimulating your intuition" or "letting your tailbone relax into the earth", etc. But the stretches...oh, the stretches and exercises just feel heavenly on my body. As a result I have not been dealing with the typical hip/lower back/sciatic nerve pains. The instructor points out exercises along the way that are useful to use in labor to help the baby "spiral down" or "get into proper position" or whatever. This got me to thinking, "Maybe if I continue to keep up on my yoga, go over the section (oh, yes, there's even a section) on labor room yoga exercises, and really take the time to prepare myself and research...I could have a natural labor."
The first time I mentioned it to Tim, he laughed. I gave it a few days and then brought it up again. He was completely supportive this time around after seeing that I was really being serious. So I started research.
I spent almost 2 hours researching The Bradley Method last night. I would like to look into it a little more - with Tim since it's focus is "husband-coached childbirth." He obviously would have to learn alot for this one.
I went to the library today and checked out four books, all dealing with natural childbirths. I started reading the first one, "Birth Without Violence" by Dr. Frederick Leboyer and decided it wasn't for me. I mean, I can see the guy's point on some things, but first of all - it's written from the point of view mostly from the baby, which is weird to read and second - I just can't accept everything he says. I mean, sure it would be great for a baby to be born into silence rather than the chaos of the delivery room, but let's be realistic: if you think I'm not going to be raising my voice and doing those weird woman-pushing noises during delivery than you've got another think coming.
And, no, I'm not trying to be a feminist or feel the consequence of Eve's sin or be holistic and new-agey. I just really actually want to experience childbirth for all it is. I keep thinking, if women for hundreds- or thousands - of years could do this without an epidural, then I can too.
Plus, I have the comfort of knowing the epidural is there if I need it.

2 comments:

508 North Market Street said...

Something I learned from our first pregnancy with Wyn was to let it be what it is. We did the whole lamaze all natural class, and all it did was remind me how imperfect I am. We have enough things in our lives that make us feel guilty for no reason.

When all was said and done, she was breech, and I had no choice but to have an epidural. If you're able to deliver w/o drugs, great. If not, great. Either way, you'll have a baby! I wouldn't worry about it.

Lindsy said...

Hey Crazy ~
It's ok....people think I am insane for cloth diapering (ah hem) and wanting to home school my kids.....come on over to the funny farm (we have chocolate) ha ha :o)