Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The ups and downs of toddlerhood

There are times as a mother that I feel I am doing a good job. My son is fed, healthy, and clean. He is polite, outgoing, and a sweetheart. At church on Sunday I was told by at least 5 people how cute he is and how calm and laid-back.

Then there are the nights. My son is a monster in disguise of a light-brown hair, adorable blue-eyed 2-year old. The easy-going child is gone. The temper-tantrum-throwing terror is in his place.

That has been the down of the past week and a half for us. Noah, since infancy, has been a wonderful sleeper. He might wake up a couple times with what we called "sleep cries" where he wasn't really awake. All we had to do was go in, lay him back down, make sure he had his pacifier and he was instantly quiet again. However, he doesn't have a pacifier anymore. He is also sleeping in the toddler bed. When he first started sleeping in the bed, he did great. He would wake up and play for a bit in the morning, or read, but he wouldn't leave his room.

That is all gone. He now wakes up every night somewhere between the hours of midnight and one in the morning. He comes into our room, tries to crawl into our bed, we walk him back into his room and then the battle of the generations begins. He usually ends up screaming for up to 2 hours before tiring himself out. Last night he woke at 1:00 and was asleep again by 1:30, but it took him until 10:00pm to fall asleep in the first place, which is rare for us to go through. He was up at 6:30 in a great mood and ready to start the day with full on energy. Tim and I were not greeting the morning with as much energy.
That has been my main struggle of the "terrible twos." There are little things, like the open defiance and deliberate choosing of the opposite of what Mom and Dad want, but those I feel I can handle. Sleepless nights...well...let's just say that come April I'll have a new baby to keep me up at night. This is my time to sleep now and I want to cherish every moment of it.
On the upside of toddlerhood, he asked me if he could use the potty last week. We put the potty chair away a couple months ago and haven't even talked to him about it so I was in shock when he brought it up.
Me: "What?! You want to use the potty?"
Noah: "Yes."
Me: "You want to use the potty?"
Noah: "I do."
Me: long pause. "Ok. Let's go."
So I dragged the potty out of the closet and he sat on it and asked for a book to look at. He looked through a couple books and then said, "All done." He hadn't actually gone, but I praised him like crazy for trying. After that it has become an every day thing for him to want to use it. Sometimes we strike it rich and he actually goes, sometimes it's just him trying. However, the very idea that he is not running in the opposite direction of it is amazing. When we saw how interested he was in this potty business we decided to help in the process by buying a package of M&Ms and keeping them in a jar on top a cabinet in the bathroom. They are his reward for using the potty. Seeing as he is not usually allowed to have cookies and candy, this has actually become a huge motivation for him.
My boy is growing up so fast. I really just have a year and a half of him being at home before he starts preschool. Fortunately, by the time Eleanor starts her "terrible two" stage, Noah will be in school so I can tackle her issues one-on-one during the day like I can for him.
In issues relating to Eleanor, everything seems to be going well so far. Now that I am over the morning sickness, I am starting to put on the "recommended" weight gain. She can be quite an active one and her movements are becoming much stronger. I think Tim will be able to feel some kicks soon. Right now when he puts his hand on my belly, she decides to become shy. I have a feeling things will seem to speed up after the holidays are done and she will be here before we know it!
Financially, things are going much better. Tim started a job this week and will finish Friday. All next week we are gone in Tennessee celebrating Christmas with Tim's family (sing it with me now, all you who know Amy Grant, "A tender Tennessee Christmas is the only Christmas for me.") When we get back he will immediately jump into a new job, followed by another, in Grand Rapids. Things are starting to get back on track! We have learned our lessons and been humbled.
Well, I'm off to work on my niece, Kailyn's, doll blanket and pillow that I am making for Christmas. I'm not working off a pattern so we'll see if it turns out how I have pictured in my head!

1 comment:

Lindsy said...

Sleep?? I don't think I recognize that word? It has been missing from my vocab for....I don't know....5+ years ~ ha ha!
Love the "testing" and defiance don't you?!? Goodness I don't think that ever goes away....but *some* day you will get the sweet satisfaction of watching Noah with his own children (my mom reminds me how much fun it is to watch my "strong minded" children with their "strong minded" mother).
Sending you lots of luck on the potty training....in my opinion that has been the worst part of being a parent....I just don't relish cleaning up after a 2-3 year old child.
MERRY CHRISTMAS! We are headed north on Friday :o)