Thursday, July 05, 2007

The Fourth and Fireworks

Yesterday was July 4th, Independence Day. My sister called this morning and we were talking about how different some holidays feel now that we are grown up, the Fourth being one of them. When we were young, our family always went over to the Westerby's house for a big Barbecue party on the 4th of July. After the parade downtown, of course.

Now that we are older and have families of our own (and I don't live around there anymore) we all celebrate it in our own ways. Tim, Noah, and I went to the parade in Fruitport, as well as a community breakfast there, and grilled out later that afternoon with friends. We ended the night by going to Grand Haven for fireworks. My parents went out to breakfast with my sister and her family and then they went to a movie while my sister, brother-in-law, and niece spent the day at home relaxing.
Where have the big parties gone?
Or maybe it's just the realization that we're not having the big party together as a family. Tim and I have been blessed to spend the holiday with different friends each year, but have been able to celebrate with people all the same. This is just fine with me. My sister is resistant to change. The first year I went to college, she wouldn't even let my parents go get a Christmas tree until I could join them, so we could keep up the family traditions. Once I suggested Christmas at mine and Tim's house and got my head bit off. I think now that she is a parent she is loosening up a bit because she understands more of wanting to start your own family traditions. However, she was saying this morning that she wants to reinstate the big 4th of July cook-outs, so maybe some things come slowly.
I would be lying to say that yesterday I didn't miss my childhood a bit. It was good to go to a smalltown parade, short as it was. It was fun to attend a free community breakfast in an elementary school. Even though we knew no one there, I felt like it was a normal thing for us to do.
We celebrate our independence on the 4th of July. We shoot off fireworks and remember those who have served and are serving to protect our freedoms. As crazy as I think our society is at times, I am thankful to live in America. While celebrating independence from other countries, I was also thankful that we can depend on family and friends around us to walk beside us, pray with us, encourage us, hurt with us, and praise openly our Lord with us.


Tim and Noah await the start of the parade in Fruitport.

Hugs for Noah and Emma.

Stephani and Me

Emma wasn't so crazy about the fireworks, although afterwards she told us she loved them.

No comments: