Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Generational Gap

I spent my morning in a period of waiting. I was waiting for a call from my mom to tell me that my dad still had a job. Why was my dad in danger of not having a job? My dad has been a CNC operator for Chrysler for the past 21 years and we knew that today was being nicknamed "The Valentine's Day Massacre," or, the layoffs of 11,000 people. That is a HUGE amount of people.
As I was making my lunch, I finally got the phone call from my mom that I had been waiting for. My dad does still have a job...for now. You never know in the auto industry what will happen tomorrow, especially with the economy the way it is.
While at my in-laws' home for Thanksgiving last year, my brother-in-law and I were discussing how our generation and our parents' generation is so different. Our generation likes to take the time to research things to make sure we're getting the best deal. We want what is best for us, for our families. Our parents' generation, I believe, is more loyal. If they have been using a specific mechanic for the past 15 years, they will continue to go to him even if he could be ripping them, because they are loyal.
As I thought last night about the uncertainty of my parents' future, I started to ponder if one generation is smarter than the other. It is good to research. I don't want to be going to a mechanic who is taking my money for me. I do want to get the most from my money. However, there is a benefit to loyalty, I think. Tim and I drive a Toyota and a Honda. They were both bought as used vehicles, so the money we paid for them was not going directly to Toyota or Honda. However, when I look at our vehicles I do feel a bit of guilt. My dad has worked hard for years with Chrysler to provide for my family. And I repay him by driving the vehicle of another manufacturer....not even a domestic car. In a way it is like I am contributing to the losses of American factory workers.
Even though we would never buy a brand new vehicle, I did tell Tim the other night that I only want to buy domestic autos from now on, preferably Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. I know many people categorize all domestic vehicles as a piece of junk, but I think they do better than we give them credit for. I think in our selfish society we expect to find a perfect auto that will never give us problems...and let's face it, no matter what you drive, you will eventually run into a problem or two. I think it's all in the way the vehicle is taken care of. Take care of your auto and your auto will take care of you.
I am glad my dad still has a job. We're now waiting for 3:30, when they hand out the information regarding white-collar positions, to see about a close family friend and whether he'll be keeping his job. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a change in the economy soon.

No comments: